Cat Person, by Kristen Roupenian
(September 3rd, 2022)
Rating for the story : 8.5/10
Reading is not merely taking information from outside; it is connecting with the material you are reading, which brings changes in you. Sometimes it reminds you of long-lost memories, sometimes it makes you see your situation clearer. My experience of reading Cat Person the second time (a year after the first) had such a powerful impression on me that I could hardly believe it was the same story I came across earlier.
Recently, I was in an unstable, undefined, abrupt, and temporary, but also lively (at least in the beginning), tangible, and striking relationship. It was only after it all ended that I realized how hurt I was. While reading Cat Person, I was very much shocked by how my emotional experience was alike to that of Margot (though mine was milder in every aspect compared to hers). Some feelings I went through but could not name were there in the text. I reflected on my own experience and decided I had my full right to blame the person, which I was having a hard time with, probably because I was not sure if I was partially responsible for it after all. It helped me get a grip on myself.
While I was going through my worst time, I talked with people around me, who I thought were more mature than I am. Surprisingly, many said they had similar experiences in which they were disrespected and ill-treated by a person they decided they could trust. It wasn't just a personal experience but something much bigger than that. Kristen Roupeian has been blamed for creating a “false” image of so-called “romantic relationships,” making them seem worse than they actually are. But maybe, it is the way they are. She has a clear point in her story, and many would have resonated with it. It might seem to have less value as a literary work to some people, maybe too light. But I carefully suggest that the reason why it went so viral is that, after all, we needed the story, Cat Person.
댓글
댓글 쓰기